It’s been great having a dedicated home office.
I’ve selfishly loved it – kind of my own “woman cave”. My husband and I committed to bringing the bed back in and moving things around when we had extended houseguests, at some point. That has always been the plan. And we haven’t had house guests in a while… but company is coming soon…. and, the mattress and box springs are taking up A LITTLE TOO MUCH ROOM in the garage: Jeff wants to convert the garage to a home gym (#2017goals).
So it’s time to convert it back, which is actually great! I love any excuse to redecorate. I didn’t want to just revert back to the previous guest room decor, and that’s not even possible, since I donated a lot of the furniture (happily) to Habitat for Humanity. There are some elements of the home office that will work: I love the Ikea Besta cabinets we hacked last year – I say “we” because my husband gets sole credit for assembling them, (I suck at that) . And then there’s the Campaign Dresser that was restored and painted a gorgeous Sherwin Williams Coral Reef:
(read about that project here, if you are interested.) So all I need is a beautiful bed and great accessories to turn it into a space for our guests to feel at home.
First, the bed: I think a DIY upholstered headboard is in order. I’ve been having bed envy ever since I saw Emily Henderson’s, which she has featured on her blog, stylebyemilyhenderson. I was so tempted to buy it when she sold it last fall for $1500. But even though that was a great deal for a custom-made bed, it was a little more than I could spend. So, my bed will be a frugal woman’s version of this beautiful bed and a humble nod to Emily’s great style. If you aren’t currently following her blog or socials, I recommend you do! I love her warm, casual approach to design: mid-century and vintage, an element of traditional, an eye for the “deal” a la Craigslist, Target, or a flea market, with decisive investment pieces in the mix. Below is the bed I’ve been drooling over.
For my bed, I’ve been trolling fabric sites for inspiration. Fabric.com is a favorite…they offer a great selection and 20% off for 3 yards or more. Spend $50 and get free shipping – win win. Have you seen Genevieve Gorder’s new fabric line? It is GORGEOUS. Here are a few examples.
And, if you aren’t familiar with Genevieve, read a little more about her here on Popsugar. She’s an amazing designer and has an easy-going, approachable style and demeanor.
The Genevieve Gorder fabric I chose is, this – it’s called Urban Caterpillar, in Onyx. I bought 4 yards. That’s more than enough for the headboard and wrapping the boxspring (and enough to qualify for the discount and free shipping.)
DIY Upholstered Headboard Materials:
- 41″ x 60″ piece of standard plywood (1 inch thick) and 2 36″ wood for legs $25
- Square adhesive pads for the legs $5
- 52″ x 70″ cotton batting (Warm and Natural Company – full size) and 1/2″ padding (sold in 2 1/2 yard by 24″ rolls – 2 rolls) $37
- 4 yards of fabric $60
- Staple gun and 1/2″ staples
- 6 – 1 1/2 ” flat head wood screws
- Power Drill and standard drill bits
- Phillips Head screwdriver
Total Cost $127
I bought the cotton batting and padding at Joann Fabric – Joann’s always has crazy discounts – I also suggest buying their annual calendar, which has additional discounts for each month (I saved an additional $20 on a $50+ purchase). Since a yard is 54 inches wide, I had a seamstress sew 2 seams, 8 inches from each end (only 3 inches are visible in the front) and she did a great job matching the pattern – you can’t even see the seams!
It is fairly easy to assemble the headboard. Start by laying the foam, stapling as you go. Cut off any excess (leave about 4 inches to wrap around the back. Next, wrap the batting tightly, stapling in place, again cutting off excess. Then, iron the fabric, wrap it around the batting, again tightly, stapling in place. For the legs, Jeff attached the 36″ wood legs, to heighten the headboard beyond our 4″ inch base boards.
For the boxspring wrap, I cut 5 strips 14″ high, and over-layed the strips, making sure to match the pattern, then affixed the fabric to the boxsprings with adhesive velcro strips. Easy! No sewing required, however, a more professional approach would be to sew the 4-5 strips of fabric together. (I must get over my aversion/fear of sewing…another 2017 goal.)
And here’s the finished look. What do you think? I love it! It was a collaborative effort, and I couldn’t have done it without Jeff. When we saw the finished product, we shared a huge smile and a high five (it was a “couple that DIY’s together… stays together” kind of moment.). The lamps, sheets and throw pillows are from Target, the bedspread is from Homegoods, the throw was purchased at an estate sale. The antique Kilim rug was a Craigslist steal. I used handmade wrapping paper from Papersource to glam up the tops of the Ikea cabinets – I thought it added a little extra texture and pattern to the room’s new look.
And while my desk and creative space no longer have center stage in the room, it meets my needs just fine! Sometimes being put in the corner is a very good thing, despite 1980’s pop cultural references (#dirtydancingnobodyputsbabyinthecorner).
And one final shot of my gallery wall, which seems to be growing and morphing over time.
I hope you enjoyed reading about this project. It was fun for me, and I hope our guests will feel extra welcome in our home. 🙂